- Grater or food processor with grating plate
- large bowl
- small frying pan
- chopping board
- sharp knife
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 350g/12oz carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 350g/12oz raw beetroot, peeled and trimmed
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small bunch flat parsley, roughly chopped
- Peel and trim the carrots and beetroot, then coarsely grate both on a grater. Wear rubber gloves if you don’t want pink hands! Alternatively, use a food processor fitted with a grating plate. Place the grated vegetables in a bowl, add the shallots.
- Heat the cumin seeds in small pan until they are hot and smell pungent. Remove from the heat and scatter over the vegetables. Add the olive oil, vinegar and parsley, and then toss well. Leave to marinate for at least 15 mins before serving.
Storage: Can be refrigerated in a non-metallic container for three days.
Swaps and additions: Use squeezed orange, lime, or grapefruit juice in place of lemon. You can use spring onions or half a red onion in place of shallots. Other herbs work well such as coriander or basil. Beetroot can be swapped for courgette, celeriac, even a tin of chickpeas!
Serving suggestions: Serve as a side to a main dish such as fish in paper.