Preparation time: 30-45 minutes
- 750g frozen (or fresh) broad beans
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 75-100 ml olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Boil a little water, add the beans, bring back to the boil cover the pan with a lid, turning the heat down to simmer, and cook for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Drain and cool. To cool the beans quickly you can run them under cold water.
- If you like, you can slip the skins off and just use the inner part of the bean.
- Put the beans in to a food processor with the garlic, and process to a smooth paste.
- Add the juice of the lemon, and enough olive oil to achieve the consistency you want.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Storage: Can be refrigerated for three days or freeze. If freezing, once defrosted re-blend.
Swaps and additions: Use peas, pre-cooked chickpeas, butter beans or cannellini beans (if using tinned ignore stages 1, 2, and 3). You can also add a handful of fresh herbs i.e. coriander, mint, parsley.
Serving suggestions: Serve as a dip with crackers or crudités, or in wraps and rolls.