- wooden spoon
- baking parchment
- Shallow, 20 x 30cm non-stick cake tin
(Serves 12 – or cut in to smaller, bite size pieces to serve more)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: Approx. 30 minutes
- 75g cocoa powder
- 180g plain flour
- 2tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g cooked beetroot
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Grease and line the tin with baking parchment
- Sift cocoa and flour in to a bowl, add the baking powder and sugar
- Coarsely grate the beetroot
- Beat eggs with oil and vanilla, mix in the beetroot
- Make a well in the flour/cocoa mix and add the wet ingredients, mix gently
- Spoon in to the prepared tin and bake for around 30 minutes or until firm to the touch. Try not to over bake the brownies – if you like them squidgy, a skewer in the centre should come out slightly sticky.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then cut in to squares and dust with icing sugar.
Swaps and additions: These can be made with raw beetroot – peel, wash and grate. You can try adding chopped walnuts.
Serving suggestions: Instead of using a baking tin, you can use muffin cases and make individual cakes.