- Food processor
- Baking parchment
- Weighing scales
- Shallow bowl
(Makes 25-30 balls)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (leave out for sesame allergies)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (also known as linseeds)
- 85g/3oz rolled oats
- 85g/3oz raisins
- 85g/3oz stoned dates
- 85g/3oz dried apricots
- 85g/3oz walnuts (leave out for nut allergies)
- 85g/3oz dessicated coconut
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Grind the seeds in the blender or food processor
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until the mixture binds together
- If you need liquid, add a couple of tablespoons of water
- To form the balls, take a walnut sized piece of the mixture (be careful of the blades) and roll between your palms until smooth and even
- In a shallow bowl, roll the balls in cocoa, place on some baking parchment and refrigerate until needed.
Swaps and additions: If there are any ingredients you don’t like or don’t have, you can easily swap them out and add more of the other ones, or experiment with other nuts and seeds like almonds, chia seeds, brazil nuts etc. For a sweeter taste, try adding some honey or agave syrup. If you want some texture, leave out one or two ingredients whilst you blitz the rest – for example some raisins or chopped nuts – then mix them in after.
Serving suggestions: These make a high protein, high fibre and slow release energy snack – great for anyone doing a lot of exercise or long walks.
Storage: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.