- Large heavy based saucepan with lid
- chopping board
- sharp knife
- wooden spoon or spatula
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking time: 1hr – 1 and ¼ hrs
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled, cut in to quarters and sliced finely
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and sliced finely
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 stock cube or 1 heaped teaspoon reduced salt bouillon powder
- 900ml / 1½ pints boiling water
- A handful of pearl barley
- 1 medium potato peeled
- 1 courgette topped and tailed
- ¼ head of shredded cabbage
- 1 pepper, deseeded
- 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- A handful of dried spaghetti (or other pasta), broken into small bits
- 1 tin of haricot beans or similar
- A handful of frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs -parsley/oregano/basil
(1 teaspoon if using dried herbs)
- Add pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based pan and fry the onion over a low heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Add carrot, celery and garlic to the onions, stir well and continue frying gently for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (or passata) and the tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes.
- Make up the stock by dissolving the stock cube/bouillon powder in the water.
- Add it to the pan along with the barley and bring back to the boil.
- Cover and simmer while you prepare the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the hardest (e.g. root vegetables) first, and the softer ones later.
- Simmer the soup for a further 30 minutes or until the vegetables are almost cooked.
- Add the pasta, drained beans and peas to the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the herbs and taste to check seasoning.
- Add pepper if desired.
Budget tips: Use frozen vegetables such as spinach or mixed vegetable bag.
Storage: 3 days in the fridge but can be stored for 3 months in the freezer in individual portions.
Swaps and additions: You can use any vegetables you have in the fridge such as parsnip, swede, spring onion, cherry tomatoes in addition or as alternatives.
Serving suggestions: Serve with crusty bread.