- chopping board
- sharp knife
- wooden spoon or spatula
- large saucepan
- hand blender
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 800ml low salt chicken or vegetable stock
- 500g frozen peas
- 6tbsp low fat crème fraiche/natural yoghurt
- 3tbsp chopped mint
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and bay leaf for about 5-8 minutes until the onion is softened but not coloured.
- Add the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the peas and return to the boil and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and when the liquid has cooled a little stir in the crème fraiche, mint and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaf and blitz the soup in a food processor or a hand blender until smooth. Serve as it is or with some bread.
Budget tips: Own brand peas are fine.
Storage: Cool and store in the fridge. Consume within 3 days, or freeze once cooled in airtight containers or large freezer bags.
Swaps and additions: Add spinach for extra goodness and a fab colour. Add cooked potato for extra thickness before blitzing.
Serving suggestions: Can be served hot or cold with soda bread, pitta or toast.