(Makes 8 scones)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 100g (4oz) wholemeal flour either plain or self raising
- 100g/4oz self-raising white flour
- 50g (2oz) low fat mature cheese, grated
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Approx 75-150ml (1/8 – ¼ pint) semi-skimmed milk
- 1 egg
- Pre heat the oven 230°C, 450°F, or gas mark 8.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Beat the egg and milk together and then add the oil.
- Pour the milk/egg/oil into the flour mixture and stir with a metal spoon or fork until it clumps together. If it is to dry add a little more milk to form a soft dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface, pat down until about 1.2 cm thickness and fold the dough over on itself, pat it down gently again, this will give a break to cut effect when cooked.
- Cut the scones out by using a pastry cutter or the bottom of a glass and transfer onto a lightly greased baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Serve hot or cold by breaking open and spreading on a small amount of vegetable spread.
Budget tips: Use 100% self-raising flour if you have no wholemeal flour.
Storage: Can be frozen at stage 4 or stage 7 once cooled.
Swaps and additions: Can be frozen at stage 4 or stage 7 once cooled.
Serving suggestions: Serve as a side with soup, or an accompaniment to a salad. Serve the sweet variety with fresh fruit such as Strawberries, raspberries.