Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 3 hot-smoked mackerel fillets
- 250g low fat crème fraiche or plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp horseradish sauce
- Lemon to squeeze
- Small handful of herbs such as dill and parsley
- Black pepper
- Skin the mackerel fillets and do a quick check for any bones – there are always a few. Flake the fish into a bowl and mash with the fork until smoothish.
- Add the crème fraiche / yogurt and horseradish and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add a good grinding of black pepper, and lemon juice to taste, then fold through the herbs. Serve with soda bread or crisp toast.
Budget tips: If you don’t have any herbs to hand try a low fat cream cheese flavoured with herbs instead of the crème friaiche.
Storage: Can be kept in the fridge in a sealed container and consumed within 3 days.
Swaps and additions: Swap the crème freche for natural or greek yogurt, or use a mixture of both. Choose your favourite flavours to complement this pate such as chives, cayenne or chilli.
Serving suggestions: Great on top of soda bread or a baked potato, in a pitta or with carrot and cucumber sticks.