- Frying pan 12-14 cm diameter
- large saucepan
- sharp chopping knife
- pan with lid
- chopping board
- mixing bowl
- whisk (or fork)
- cooker with grill
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- 350g/1 lb waxy potatoes peeled and sliced to ½ cm thickness
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Salad vegetables to serve (e.g. salad greens, sliced red pepper, tomatoes)
- Put the sliced potatoes in a pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer until just tender but still a firm shape (4-5 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large heavy frying pan and when hot but not smoking add the onions. Give them a good stir, reduce the heat to low, and cook very slowly for about 10 minutes until lightly browned and softened, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Leave to cool.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, season with black pepper and whisk. Add the onions and potatoes and mix together.
- Pour the remaining oil into the frying pan, and set to a high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, pour the mixture in with one hand whilst shaking the pan with the other to even out the mixture. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the underside is golden brown. While this is cooking, heat up the grill.
- Place the pan under the grill until the top is golden brown and the tortilla is cooked through and firm (around 5 mins).
- Remove from the pan and slide onto a plate. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Divide between plates and serve with a side salad.
Budget tips: Any potato can be used however waxy varieties such as Charlotte, Anya or Maris Piper tend to hold their shape better.
Storage: Can be frozen or can be stored in the fridge for three days.
Swaps and additions: Use up any leftover vegetables in this dish; courgettes, aubergines, peas, spring onions go particularly well.
Serving suggestions: Can be served hot or cold with salad or vegetables. Is great for lunch boxes.